Authors

GIUSEPPE CHISARI1*, ELEONORA MARGHERITA CHISARI2, BORZÌ ANTONIO MARIA3, ANTONINO GRASSO4 , CLARA GRAZIA CHISARI4

Departments

1Department of Biomedical and Biotechnological Sciences, University of Catania - 2Department of Education - University of Catania 3Research Center “The Great Senescence”, University of Catania - 4Department of Medical-Surgical Sciences and Advanced Technologies “G.F. Ingrassia”, University of Catania

Abstract

Amniotic membrane AM, as a natural biomaterial, has many advantages, such as low immunogenicity and rich extracellular matrix components, which make it a promising source for vascular tissue engineering. This study evaluated the efficacy and impact of amniotic membrane skin in patients (diabetes) with chronic ulcer lesions “hard to heel”. 56 patients with type II diabetes (32 F-24 M mean age 57±5 years)with chronic ulcers were admitted to our department. Patients were treated with human amniotic membrane was prepared using fresh human placenta. At 4 weeks grafting were found the following data: 57.1% scar in full and the remaining 42.9% partial resolution. Histological evaluation of the grafts explanted shown a single layer of skin cells compact enough.

The results show that the amniotic membrane has a good regulatory activities and its clinical efficacy is confirmed by direct activity in wound skin and an indirect selection in the normal bacterial flora of the skin.

Keywords

amniotic membrane AM; bacteria; type II diabetes

DOI:

10.19193/0393-6384_2017_3_063